In what could be the biggest news story of the 2018 election cycle, a superstar is being recruited to make a run for the United States Senat.
That superstar? Former FLOTUS Michelle Obama.
This would clearly not be a first: Hillary Clinton made her big debut into the United States elected office after her husband completed his second presidential term. She would go on to serve as Senator of New York before being appointed as Secretary of State.
You might remember Michelle had a powerful message while on the campaign trail in the fall of 2016, “When they go low, we go high.” Her ability to define movements and unite peoples, coupled with the fact that her speeches were among the most powerful in recent history, show she has the skill.
We know she has the grace.
And now, she’s being recruited to run.
The Mayor of Chicago is making sure Michelle Obama knows she has what it takes, and might just have everything the Democratic Party needs. The Washington Examiner explains:
“There is no person in politics that I think Democrats, independents, and Republicans would love to see take on public service more than the first lady,” Thomas Bowen, a former top aide to Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel, told NJ’s Karyn Bruggeman.
He said he’d encourage her to run. “The answer is yes. We would encourage her and put pressure on her,” said Bowen, adding, “But we are also kind of realistic in our expectations and take her at her word that it’s not something she wants to do right now. That doesn’t mean it won’t ever be an option in the future, and we will wait faithfully for her.”
According to the report, Emanuel’s seat could open in 2019, and Sen. Dick Durbin is considering a gubernatorial bid in 2018.
“Obviously she’d be qualified to run for just about any office up and down the ticket, but I think she has consistently talked about not having any interest in political office,” Illinois Democratic Party Spokesman Steve Brown said.
Lev Raphael of The Huffington Post made a list of all the reasons Michell O could completely crush the competition:
- She’s dealt with unrelenting criticism as First Lady and kept her cool.
- She has wit, grace, style, passion, and fierce intelligence.
- She’s immensely popular, even beloved.
- She’s met many world leaders and has a broad vision of America’s challenges.
- She’s a people person and even Melania Trump admires her.
- She’s had almost eight years of watching how Washington works and knows the major players.
- She’s an excellent spokeswoman for whatever cause she’s taken up.
- She’s a hoot on talk shows.
- She can rock Stevie Wonder and Missy Elliott.
- She’s young, passionate, and the Democrats need new blood in the party.
- She would help build a female power base in a male-dominated house.
- She gives an amazing, heartfelt speech.
- She would change the dynamic in a place filled with fossils.