The White House recently said that it plans to move toward limiting access and ending legal protections of the DACA program, which was put in place during the Obama years for the hundreds of thousands of immigrants who were brought into the country as children.
The Supreme Court recently struck down Trump’s plan to officially end the program but Trump is hoping to sidestep the Court’s decision while legal review is pending.
Acting Secretary of Homeland Security Chad Wolf said earlier this week that no new applicants will be accepted into the program that provides important protection to undocumented immigrants who were brought into the US when they were children.
Wolf also announced that current participants will lose some access to protections as well, even amid the coronavirus surge.
The DHS released a statement saying that acting Secretary Wolf “will take action to thoughtfully consider the future of the DACA policy, including whether to fully rescind the program.”
Democrats have called on Trump to comply with the Court’s June 18 decision and start accepting new applicants.
A letter written by House Judiciary Subcommittee on Immigration and Citizenship Chair Zoe Lofgren (D-CA) and Judiciary Committee Chairman Jerrold Nadler (D-NY) stated:
“Based on the Court’s decision, because the rescission was unlawful, your Administration must immediately return to implementing the DACA memorandum as it existed prior to the attempted rescission.
This means processing new applications for DACA, which your Administration has refused to do.”
“Compliance with the Supreme Court’s judgment is not a matter of Executive branch discretion.
Failure to comply with the Supreme Court’s judgment is illegal, unconstitutional, and effectively an act of tyranny.”