According to a report from The Hill, there are seven likely candidates to run for President in 2024 on the Democratic ticket, should President Joe Biden decide not to run for reelction.
The President released a statement last week, in which he said that it “remains to be seen” if he’ll run for reelection, prompting speculation about whether Democrats will have a different candidate for the next Presidential election.
According to the report, “if Biden doesn’t run again, a number of Democrats are expected to wade into the presidential waters. But even Vice President Harris isn’t seen as a definitive leading contender in such a situation, Democrats acknowledge privately.”
One Democratic donor told the Hill that “there’s not one clear candidate and there’s not a rising star.”
The report continued with The Hill’s seven most likely candidates in the event that Biden calls it quits after one term:
Kamala Harris: While Harris, 57, has seen her own approval ratings fall at times during an up-and-down tenure as vice president, she remains the top non-Biden possibility for 2024.Strategists say it would be difficult to convince Black women — who helped catapult Biden to the White House — to vote for anyone else as the party’s standard-bearer.
Pete Buttigieg: The Transportation secretary has been a popular figure in the Democratic Party since his 2020 presidential run, when he surprised the base with his come-out-of-nowhere ascent. Buttigieg’s current role has sent him around the country to boast about popular infrastructure projects —something that can only help him down the road.
Gretchen Whitmer: The two Biden administration fixtures are the top two non-Biden Democrats on our list. The most likely alternatives after them are two governors. The first is Michigan’s governor, who came closer than many realize to being Biden’s pick for vice president. Now Whitmer, 51, is catching the eyes of Democrats as she runs for reelection. This week, she opened up a 16-point lead over her Republican opponent Tudor Dixon in a Detroit Free Press poll.
Gavin Newsom: At a time when Democrats have been craving a leader who would get in the faces of Republicans, Newsom, the California governor, appeared to do battle.Newsom, 54, made headlines in July when he took the fight directly to Ron DeSantis (R), running an ad in the Sunshine State blasting the Florida governor and the conservative culture there.
Elizabeth Warren: The one-time presidential hopeful has made it clear she has one race on her mind in 2024: her own reelection to the Senate. But Democrats say there would be a place for her if Biden decides not to run again. Warren, 73, has continued to be a top advocate on Capitol Hill for issues important to Democrats including climate change, abortion rights and gun safety.
Bernie Sanders: It’s tough for some Democrats to see the senator from Vermont launching another presidential campaign. After all, he is 81 years old and — if elected — would be nearing 90 by the end of his term. But Sanders has become such a staple of the Democratic Party since his first White House bid in 2016 that it’s hard to rule out a run. And if he did compete, he’d definitely have support.
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez: Almost no one in the Democratic Party has had the meteoric rise of “AOC,” as she’s known. And while most strategists doubt that the congresswoman from New York will run for president just yet, her name is constantly bandied about when Democrats complain that their bench is weak.
According to recent polls from CNN, it seems like the American public has already decided that they don’t want Biden to run again. Almost 3/4 of voters polled said that they do not want him to run for reelection, which is uprising with his 45% approval rating among the same group of those polled.
Those numbers led CNN to conclude that “it’s not then that large swaths of the American public think Biden is doing a terrible job and want him out. It’s just that people – across the political spectrum – don’t want him to run again in two years’ time. While Republicans are unsurprisingly keen on Biden bowing out (88% don’t want him to run again), so too are independents (79% don’t want him to run again). And even among Biden’s Democratic base, his numbers on the question are middling, with 52% saying he should run again and the other 48% saying he should not”